Tags: Becca, Yurbuds
Two new favorite discoveries joined my daily routine this summer. And one trumped a long-time product love.
What I Love About It:
- Applied under makeup, it extends wear by 3x. Normally my face makeup will be an oil slick after a couple of hours. Now, it feels fresh after a few hours and still shows signs of life at 6-8hrs.
- Smoother skin. It helps fill-in pores for a smoother, more flawless appearance.
- No breakouts. It has just 9 ingredients and zero silicones. This formula is near impossible to find in primers, BB, CC creams (trust me, I’ve searched obsessively).
- I picked up a free sample to try at Sephora. I tested it alongside CoverFX and Nars. Hands-down, Becca performed the best at controlling oil.
A Few Learnings:
- Application works best before makeup. You can dab it on top during the day for touch-ups, but feels a bit heavy. It also has a hint of a whitish cast, so isn’t great on its own.
- Consistency is very dry. I apply closely after sunscreen, so my skin has some slip for blending. I apply and blend one section of my face at a time. If your skin is on the normal to dry side, you’ll prefer a more moisturizing primer.
- It’s on the pricey side, though average for department store brands ($34 for 1.7 ounces). Try a sample first.
I have been using Paula’s Choice Shine Stopper for a couple of years. It’s good, but for me Becca Ever-Matte Primer is stellar!
If you walk, jog, hike, bike, snowboard, etc., you NEED Yurbuds Headphones ($59.99)! It is the only pair I’ve ever used that stay put in my ears. The earbuds feel comfortable, music sounds great and it controls your iPod/iPhone for hands-free operation. Plus they are water-resistant. I learned the hard way when I snowboarded with my old headphones, which got wet and then only played half a song in one ear.
Tags: Chanel, Chanel LeVolume Mascara, mascara
“Special Occasion Lashes” from a mascara!? At the recommendation of my hair stylist, I tried Chanel LeVolume Mascara. It’s my new holy grail mascara…even beating out Mally’s (which I’ve used for years). Chanel LeVolume Mascara is pricey ($30), but it won’t disappoint. I was skeptical (after all, the “special” claim came from the counter rep), so started with a deluxe sample from Nordstrom. From the first swipe, I was hooked…lashes were long, voluminous and lasted all day.
On Saturday, May 25 (only this day), Nordstrom is hosting Mascara Madness: Buy 2 Get One Free. Go in with a friend and it brings the cost down to $20 per tube. You can even mix and match colors, or other brands, if you wish. The special price is online and in-stores.
Tags: gel manicure, L'Oreal, L'Oreal Balm, Maybelline, Maybelline Baby Lips, Nutra Nail, Revlon, Revlon Lip Butter, Tarte
It has been awhile since I posted to My Ray of Beauty, but it isn’t because I don’t love you and want to share all my beauty adventures and finds! So, to try to make up for lost time, here are a few beauty products that I’ve tried recently with mini reviews. Stay tuned for full-length posts on each. In the meantime, please ask me in the comments or email if you must need to know more scoop immediately. Trust me, I get the urgency when it comes to beauty, haha :-).
- Melanage Peel: The next level of the Vi Peel performed at a medical office followed by a two-week home care system (I recently completed this newer peel developed to attack dark skin blotches, especially Melasma)
- Nutra Nail Gel Perfect: At home version of the shellac-style gel manicure, however no UV light is needed (polish dries completely within 5 minutes, looks glossy and stays on, but it started cracking at Day 4)
- Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush: New shimmer colors were added to this best-selling line (this blush has amazing staying power; I have super oily skin and there is still noticeable color at the 12 hour mark…a definite must-buy if you have oily skin)
- Tarte Smolder Eyes Amazonian Clay Waterproof Liner: Line, smudge and smoke with this multi-tasking pencil (I was so impressed with the blush that I had to try the liner; it stays on well for a few hours but starts to wear off by the afternoon)
- Maybelline Baby Lips: New SPF 20 Lip Balm (this softens lips nicely, offering some relief for my dry, cracked lips; they are still dry but better)
- Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter: A lipstick and lip balm in one (I LOVE the Cotton Candy color; it’s a pretty shade of shimmer pink and offers some moisturizing properties)
- L’Oreal Balm: A lip balm with a hint of color (I prefer the Revlon, it delivers more color and moisture)