Tags: beauty trends, fall 2011 makeup, Glamour, Kandee Johnson, People Stylewatch
First, a quick note to let you know that Nordstrom just announced FREE Shipping & Returns on ALL online orders, no minimum. It’s like an early Christmas gift!
Each August, I start daily checks of the newstands for the September issues of fashion magazines. When the magazines arrive, I devour the pages in search of the latest, greatest beauty items. Come to think of it, I do this every month! According to my sister Sandi, I used to hide magazines behind my textbooks in high school, so the obsession started early. For the record, I don’t recall such a thing 🙂
These are my Top 10 “ooh’s” and “oh my’s” from the September 2011 beauty magazines:
10. With the InGlam MP3 Musical Flatiron, you can play up to 500 songs on your hair straightener. “Whip My Hair” is a catchy tune and perhaps your iPod is full!?
9. Rich, Jewel-Toned Polish is hot for the nails and toes. Think sapphire, ruby and jade in creamy or shimmer finishes. According to People Stylewatch, apply just one coat on short oval nails to avoid chips. Also look for new scented nail polish. Lilac has to smell better than toxic chemicals.
8. Jewelry continues a love affair with rose-gold. I hope this relationship is forever!
7. Man-Repeller Fashion is “in.” Coined by the blogger of manrepeller.com, this term refers to women’s fashion that men find unsexy. But being single and 40’s, I’m trying to attract not repel y’all!
6. Dramatic Winged Eyeliner is the height of Fall fashion. Dior even created “Velvet Eyes” eyeliner stickers for goof-proof application. Personally, I’m filing this under “man-repellant” (see above), along with…
5. Bold Red lips are everywhere and every shade: matte, glossy, stained, bright or dark. If you follow My Ray of Beauty (thank you, BTW), you already know I’m not a fan. Ruby lips may say “look at me,” but pink shades are much more youthful.
4. QVC has a several page ad spread in Vogue. As you know, I heavily shop the Q, but Vogue? Really!? Seems like a stretch.
3. Bloggers are rising stars! One of my favorites, Kandee Johnson, is featured in Glamour (you go girl!). And bloggers take the role of models in ads for Cover Girl and White House/Black Market.
2. I’m really liking the Undone Bun for hair: a loose knot updo that’s soft and feminine. My tresses need regular breaks from the flat iron and a ponytail is ho-hum. I’m still trying to perfect this look and when I do, you’ll be the first to see it!
1. My favorite trend for Fall is Metallic Green Eye Makeup. I’ve already been experimenting for the perfect shade (blog post to follow). Speaking of eye makeup, Teal Eye Makeup is still “in” for another season (see my post for an age-appropriate version)
Tags: bangles, bronzer, Cutex, It Cosmetics, Mally Beauty, nail polish remover, Nordstrom, Seasonal Whispers
Beauty Hit: Cutex 2X Faster Nail Polish Remover. “Whoa, that’s fast!” I was not expecting such a reaction to a nail polish remover, but this stuff works dramatically fast, much quicker than my old Cutex bottle. It’s been awhile since I bought remover, so I’m not sure if this is a new formula or just new to me. Cutex is sold at most U.S. drugstores for about $2.50.
Beauty Hit: Seasonal Whispers Bangles. These bangles are everything I love in a bracelet: soft, flexible, real metal, sparkly and gorgeous. The base metal is stainless steel with 24K gold plating in gold, rose-gold or two-toned. I purchased mine at Fireworks, a Seattle area “unusual accessories” boutique, where you can buy single bangles or sets/3 ($48). They are also featured in this month’s Nordstrom catalog where a set/6 is $98 (in-store and online). I’m happy with my 3, but stacking 6 or mixing & matching is stunning.
Beauty Miss: Bye Bye Pores Airbrush Bronzer. The Bye Bye Pores HD Finishing Powder is phenomenal, but the “translucent shade” is too white, so I went on waitlist for the brand new Airbrush Bronzer (comes with brush on QVC). Anxiously I waited weeks for my name to be called, but when it finally was, disappointment quickly followed. The bronzer shade is far too reddish in color. I’ll miss the brush, but this set is being returned. I’ll stick with Mally Beauty Believable Bronzer, which gives that perfect sunkissed glow.
Tags: Ariella ring, crystal dorado ring, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Perricone, Perricone sale
I’m beside myself with giddy excitement! Nordstrom Rack just got in a huge amount of Perricone MD skincare — at up to 85% off the retail price (that’s like free, right!?). Most of the items are deluxe samples, but I found a full-size Citrus Facial Wash for $12.97 (reg. $35). Ounce-for-ounce, the Perricone products at The Rack are 60% to 85% off the retail price!
I picked up the wash (completely removes makeup and leaves skin soft and clean), High Potency Eye Treatment (this bottle will last a few months), Neuropeptide Deep Wrinkle Serum and Neuropetide Facial Cream (insanely popular with Perricone users). I’m a big fan of Perricone skincare, I just don’t use it much because of the steep price tag. With The Rack sale, though, I will try more of the line and stock up.
The Rack also has Perricone’s Cold Plasma, Face Finishing Moisturizer, High Potency Amine Complex, High Potency Evening Repair and Concentrated Restorative Cream. Edit on 7/26: I stopped by a larger Rack and they also had full sizes of the Serum Prep, Neuropeptide Face Activator, Neuropeptide Facial Serum, Skin Clear Cleanser, Skin Clear Toner, and Gentle Cleanser: plus deluxe sample sizes of Firming Neck Therapy, Firming Facial Toner, Neuropeptide Facial Contour, and Neuropeptide Firming Moisturizer. In other words, nearly the whole line!
But wait, there’s more!
While shopping The Rack, I also found this Ariella Round Pave Ring. I tried it on a while ago at the main Nordstrom store and fell in love with it, but couldn’t justify the $98 price for “fun” jewelry (though I really, really wanted it). So, when I spotted it at 60% off, I knew it was meant to be 🙂 One of the great things about this ring is it has an adjustable inner band so it snugly fits any finger. If you don’t live by a Rack, the Ariella ring can also be purchased online at the Nordstrom Rack website.
Ariella ring photo from the Nordstrom website