Tags: detox diet, Lyn-Genet Recitas, The Plan
Two meals were served at my family’s Easter dinner 1) Traditional, and 2) The Plan friendly. When my sister and her husband lost 10 pounds in the first 10 days on The Plan, other family and friends followed suit. At Easter, there were 6 Plan participants — 3 men and 3 women — so I took the opportunity to conduct an interview.
I’m giving away 3 copies of The Plan to My Ray of Beauty readers. A big thanks to creator Lyn-Genet Recitas for donating the books! The first 3 people to comment on this post win a free book (+ free shipping, USA only).
Q. What are your key takeaways about The Plan?
- Lisa: It’s working! I’m following the thyroid plan due to pregnancy (over/under active). I immediately began losing weight where other diets had failed.
- Steve: First, I’m glad my wife is a very good cook and reads the menu details! We completed 20 days. The biggest takeaway is I could lose weight without exercise.
- Dan: Food effects are much more noticeable, like a coffee buzz. I like to bike ride and started at Day 8. By Day 14, I felt really good and went on a strenuous ride.
- Rhonda: It is very good and puts together lots of previous knowledge in a very logical way. If I’m hungry it is because I am behind on drinking water. It is challenging at first, but it gets easier. After a couple of days with a busy schedule I can get back on The Plan and the weight comes off. I feel that I am making healthy choices without having to devote lots of time to exercise. The hardest piece is testing new foods, though it is nice to see the weight come off…not so nice to see it go back up.
- Michael: I’ve been very pleased! The portions are large. When I went back to eating a “normal” breakfast, I couldn’t finish it, it didn’t sit well. When I reacted to foods (like eggs), I felt horrible and gained weight.
Q. How much weight have you lost?
- Lisa: 10 pounds in 12 days
- Steve: 19 pounds in 20 days, my goal is 12 more pounds
- Dan: 10 pounds in 14 days, I follow the plan religiously…ok, I had a bit of extra chocolate
- Rhonda: 17.6 pounds after 5 weeks
- Michael: 7-8 pounds in 12 days following the men’s portions
- Cha: 6.5 pounds in 14 days
Q. What is your favorite recipe?
- Lisa: Chopped Salad
- Steve: Any of the sautéed vegetables
- Dan: Salad with grilled chicken and goat cheese
- Rhonda: Spicy Vegetable Soup
- Michael: Carrot Soup
- Cha: Salad with greens, carrots, zucchini, onions, goat cheese
Q. What is your least favorite recipe?
- Lisa: Sautéed Kale
- Steve: Spicy Vegetable Soup
- Dan: Spicy Coco Sauce, I also had to get used to the flax seeds
- Rhonda: Carrot Soup
- Michael: Sautéed Kale and Spicy Vegetable Soup
- Cha: Chia seeds (too slimy!)
Q. How do you feel overall?
- Lisa: I have a lot more energy
- Steve: I don’t feel any different
- Dan: I felt sick the first few days (could be the toxins releasing?), but now my energy is up; having my stomach go down feels good; low-grade body aches have gone away
- Rhonda: I feel good that I am eating healthy; in the morning I don’t have to move slowly the first couple of minutes, I am ready to go immediately
- Michael: I’m generally healthier
- Cha: I’ve struggled with sinus problems and notice more senses, my smelling and hearing is better
The Plan is a New York Times Best Seller. It is available for purchase on Amazon for $16.34 or Kindle/$10.99.
Tags: Babyliss, BIO-SANA, Blow Pro, flat iron
I’ve discovered three amazing products that I can’t live without! If you have calloused heels, desire super straight hair or want to keep it that way, keep reading…
BIO-SANA Pedicure File
I read about the BIO-SANA Pedicure File on another beauty blog Product Girl and tried it with a huge dose of skepticism. After all, I’m that girl who insists the pedicurist use a razor to scrape the calloused skin off my feet. Surprisingly, the BIO-SANA smoothed just as well! It is double-sided — both are gritty, however, one is slightly finer for smoothing. It is also antibacterial, which is comforting. BTW, I had a professional pedicure a couple of weeks ago and it was the first time EVER there weren’t layers of dead skin to scrape off. I purchased the BIO-SANA at Nordstrom ($18).
BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Straightening Iron
After a few years of heavy use, my Chi flat iron wasn’t getting as hot. My hair stylist uses and recommends BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Straightening Iron. I tried it and loved it from the first use! My hair straightens quicker, gets straighter and has more shine. The plates are wider (5 inches), so it covers more hair in one pass. A word of caution: the exterior heats up, unlike the Chi, so I’ve burned my forehead and fingers more than once. I use the 1″ Ultra Thin (model is BABNT3072T). My salon, Salon Divas in Seattle sells it, or search Amazon, there are lots of sellers (prices range from $89-$189).
Blow Pro The Perfect Shower Cap
Once your hair is beautifully straight, water and moisture are your enemy! Blow Pro The Perfect Shower Cap protects and preserves your style during a shower. The inside is terry cloth which is not only comfortable, but seals out steam. For many years I used inexpensive plastic caps from Sally Beauty Supply, which still work great. But the Blow Pro seals my hairline better and it’s over sized so I can tie my hair up and it easily still fits. The only downside is it takes a long time to dry between uses. I purchased at Ulta ($18).
Tags: Ageless, Ageless Seattle, Asclera, Asclera review, laser treatment, spider veins, varicose veins
Sitting in shorts last summer, I looked down and noticed “old lady legs!” What!? When did I get spider and varicose veins? And what can I do to make them go away? I researched solutions and learned about the latest medical treatment called Asclera, a form of sclerotherapy. Asclera’s active ingredient is much less painful than previous products, which caused intense stinging. Veins react to the injected solution and close over a series of weeks and treatments. BTW, laser treatments are also a popular method to close veins, however tan skin pigments can absorb too much laser light and cause scarring
I locate a dermatologist that offers Asclera, Dr. Schell at Ageless in Seattle ($250 per treatment). She specializes in anti-aging for the face and body and is quite wonderful and lovely! Asclera is injected with a small needle into my vein “trunks.” Like a tree, the solution travels into the branches connected to that vein. I lose count on the number of injections but am guessing 30 pokes. Some veins/leg areas are more painful than others. I grimace, clench my teeth and hold a squeeze ball tight. Immediately, veins swell and turn red, like welts. The severity goes away in a couple of hours, leaving redness and light bruising.
My legs are sore the rest of the day. Dr Schell directs me not to exercise and wear compression tights for two days (definitely not comfortable!).
The Next Week
After a couple of days, the soreness decreases to minimal, noticed only if an injection area is touched. For the next couple of weeks, there is visible “trauma” to the skin where the injections were made.
One Month Later
The injection areas have healed and I am sooo happy with the results, thus far! The veins are noticeably diminished — still there but much less so. I schedule the second treatment. It will take up to 3 treatments for the veins to fully close.
Stay tuned for the final results!