10 Takeaways From The September Beauty MagazinesAugust 30, 2011 at 11:23 am | Posted in Hair, Jewelry, Makeup, Nail Polish, QVC | 1 Comment
Tags: beauty trends, fall 2011 makeup, Glamour, Kandee Johnson, People Stylewatch
First, a quick note to let you know that Nordstrom just announced FREE Shipping & Returns on ALL online orders, no minimum. It’s like an early Christmas gift!
Each August, I start daily checks of the newstands for the September issues of fashion magazines. When the magazines arrive, I devour the pages in search of the latest, greatest beauty items. Come to think of it, I do this every month! According to my sister Sandi, I used to hide magazines behind my textbooks in high school, so the obsession started early. For the record, I don’t recall such a thing 🙂
These are my Top 10 “ooh’s” and “oh my’s” from the September 2011 beauty magazines:
10. With the InGlam MP3 Musical Flatiron, you can play up to 500 songs on your hair straightener. “Whip My Hair” is a catchy tune and perhaps your iPod is full!?
9. Rich, Jewel-Toned Polish is hot for the nails and toes. Think sapphire, ruby and jade in creamy or shimmer finishes. According to People Stylewatch, apply just one coat on short oval nails to avoid chips. Also look for new scented nail polish. Lilac has to smell better than toxic chemicals.
8. Jewelry continues a love affair with rose-gold. I hope this relationship is forever!
7. Man-Repeller Fashion is “in.” Coined by the blogger of manrepeller.com, this term refers to women’s fashion that men find unsexy. But being single and 40’s, I’m trying to attract not repel y’all!
6. Dramatic Winged Eyeliner is the height of Fall fashion. Dior even created “Velvet Eyes” eyeliner stickers for goof-proof application. Personally, I’m filing this under “man-repellant” (see above), along with…
5. Bold Red lips are everywhere and every shade: matte, glossy, stained, bright or dark. If you follow My Ray of Beauty (thank you, BTW), you already know I’m not a fan. Ruby lips may say “look at me,” but pink shades are much more youthful.
4. QVC has a several page ad spread in Vogue. As you know, I heavily shop the Q, but Vogue? Really!? Seems like a stretch.
3. Bloggers are rising stars! One of my favorites, Kandee Johnson, is featured in Glamour (you go girl!). And bloggers take the role of models in ads for Cover Girl and White House/Black Market.
2. I’m really liking the Undone Bun for hair: a loose knot updo that’s soft and feminine. My tresses need regular breaks from the flat iron and a ponytail is ho-hum. I’m still trying to perfect this look and when I do, you’ll be the first to see it!
1. My favorite trend for Fall is Metallic Green Eye Makeup. I’ve already been experimenting for the perfect shade (blog post to follow). Speaking of eye makeup, Teal Eye Makeup is still “in” for another season (see my post for an age-appropriate version)