The Detox Diet: Round 2July 30, 2011 at 10:56 am | Posted in Body Care | 11 Comments
Tags: detox diet, Lyn-Genet Recitas, More magazine
Shortly after I completed MORE magazine’s Detox Diet, I heard from the creator Lyn-Genet Recitas. She informed me that I had eaten the wrong granola, it should have been oat-free. My reaction was two-fold: 1) Cool! Lyn is giving me advice, and 2) Darn! Now I have to do the cleanse again.
MORE magazine has since updated the diet to read oat-free granola, but initially it didn’t specify. See the Detox Diet here.
Read my first experience with the Detox Diet here. Be sure to view the comments as Lyn shares an optional Detox Diet with a few seasonal updates. Plus there are helpful questions and answers (e.g., can you drink coffee?).
Here’s my journal for the Detox Diet Round 2 (this is the version Lyn posted in my blog comments)…lessons learned are at the end
Pre-Day 1: Saturday
I’m relaxed, not anxious at all. I stop by a small farmers market to purchase the fruits and veggies needed for the diet. Good call, because it is way less expensive than the specialty grocer, only about $10.
Day 1: Sunday
Breakfast: I eat Columbia County Cranberry Walnut Flax Granola (highly recommended by Lyn). This is an acquired taste because my initial reaction is “ewww, it’s bland.” But by Day 3, I’m looking forward to it and will continue to eat it on a regular basis.
Afternoon: I’m hungry for the first time today, but not nearly as ravenous as the first round, more of a dull ache. Thank goodness for the snack.
Dinner: I feel good! Dessert would be nice, but I can live without it.
Day 2: Monday
Breakfast & Lunch: I must be eating the right amount of food because I’m not super hungry or overly full — it’s a nice light balance.
Afternoon: I have a headache and am a bit light-headed. Unfortunately, it sticks around for a couple of days.
Day 3: Tuesday
Morning: Lost 1.5 pounds! Not scale-shattering, but I’ll take it 🙂
Lunch: The carrot soup is quite good, its got a spicy kick to it.
Dinner: This is a tasty dinner! The chicken with herbs is flavorful. I would eat this meal on an ongoing basis.
- The Detox Diet Round 2 was a much better experience than the first time. Other than the headache, I felt fine all three days. Reasons could be that the flax granola was more filling, the food choices (i.e. vegetables) weren’t such a shock to my system, or I just wasn’t as big of a baby. Maybe a combination of all three?
- I didn’t lose as much weight the second time, but perhaps because I’d recently cleansed, I didn’t have as much inflammation
- It’s easier to detox at home over a weekend. The first time I detoxed during the work week, thinking that would distract from hunger. But with the food prep, and needing to tote ingredients to the office, it was more convenient to be at home.
- My biggest takeaway is the carrot ginger soup. Lyn calls this “the anti-inflammatory” and suggests preparing extra batches to eat as needed when you’re “reactive.” This is one easy step to follow!
- Will I ever do the Detox Diet again? You bet, I can see myself periodically “cleansing.” My body feels noticeably better afterwards and it’s nice to lose a couple of pounds.