Put Your Best Body Forward Part IV: Self TannerNovember 16, 2010 at 7:00 am | Posted in Body Care, QVC, Skincare | 3 Comments
Tags: Bare Escentuals, Faux Tan, QVC, self tanner mitt, self tanning, ULTA
Now that you’re exfoliated, moisturized and hair-free, the final step in body care is giving your skin a beautiful tan glow. Tan skin hides a multitude of sins and enhances muscle tone, even on ethnic skin. With streaks and orange palms often the result, however, self tanner is much harder to apply than it looks. I’ve tried many drugstore and prestige products, but they all ended up collecting dust in my vanity.
I picked up the ULTA Self-Tanning Applicator Mitt ($4.99) and after the first use, wondered “where it had been all my life?” Product glides over the skin and gives an even, streak-free application. My conclusion? It’s 70%: Application Tool and 30%: Product.
The mitt works with any self tanner, but my favorite is Bare Escentuals Faux Tan. The bronze tint shows exactly where product is applied and gives a nice brown tan. Even my fair skin niece raves about this product. I purchased the super-size bottle on a QVC special (no longer available), however you can purchase a 4.5 ounce size at QVC or a Bare Escentuals Boutique ($22). I also see it at Nordstrom and Sephora on occasion.
Self Tanning Application Tips
- Exfoliate (I swear by Dermadoctor)
- Put mitt on and apply Faux Tan (rinse mitt in hand soap after use)
- For hands, take mitt off and press from back
- Reapply after a few hours to get desired color depth (I like two coats)
- On dry skin or patches, apply a light layer of body lotion prior to self tanner. This will help the product apply smoothly and not grab so much color.