Lesson in Hair Do’s and Don’tsJune 24, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Posted in Hair | 1 Comment
Tags: African-American hair, Carol's Daughter, ENJOY, hair products, KeraCare
A few years ago, I visited a new hairdresser who informed me (nicely) that my hair care routine was damaging and the root of many bad hair days. She has beautiful long, thick shiny hair so I took notice!
My hair don’ts: I grew up putting lots of thick pomade on my part African-American hair and learned the “grease” combined with heat appliances burns the strands. I abuse my hair on a regular basis: color, relax, blow dry and flat-iron (it’s amazing I have any hair left!) and any product line won’t do. Also, my hair is dry yet fine, so heavy products weigh it down.
What I now do better: Marquetta (hairdresser) turned me on to professional, nourishing and silicone based products. My hair looks and behaves significantly better: healthier, shiny, soft and easier-to-style.
Here is my current hair care routine. I especially love that each product is under $20.
1. Wash: ENJOY Sulfate-Free Hydrating Shampoo
2. Condition: ENJOY Hydrating Conditioner
3. Deep Condition: ENJOY Hair Mask (an intensive smoothing mask that I leave in all day/night on the weekends)
4. Styling Product: ENJOY Leave-In Conditioner (detangles, protects from sun and thermal services)
5. Styling Product: ENJOY Straightener (apply before blow drying to straighten hair without build-up)
6. Finishing Product: KeraCare Silken Seal (apply a tiny amount after hair is styled for a super shine)
7. Control Ends: Carol’s Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey — just a touch on the ends if frizzy
ENJOY Professional Hair Care offers products for all hair types and styles. I purchase ENJOY and KeraCare at my salon or a beauty supply. Carol’s Daughter is carried at Sephora and HSN TV/Online. All can be found at Amazon.com.