The Boyfriend WatchJune 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Posted in Jewelry, QVC | Leave a comment
Tags: boyfriend watch, gold watch, Michele watch, QVC, Steel by Design
Accessories convey who we are. For example I bet you can tell the age of someone by their jewelry alone (say, a rich old lady or hip teenager). In my opinion few accessories speak louder than a watch and right now the boyfriend style rules. Flip through any current fashion magazine and boyfriend watches are everywhere and on all ages.
Boyfriend watches are big and chunky – a bold statement piece. What I love is that a watch can be “of the moment,” yet worn everyday unlike other trendy pieces you might only wear a few times (more bang for our bucks!).
I have an oversized stainless steel Michele watch that I adore (my 40th birthday gift to myself). But I’ve been coveting a gold boyfriend watch for months. I am picky about my jewelry (a fine jewelry girl) though a solid gold watch far exceeds my play money. So, a compromise was in order.
I am now the proud owner of an 18K gold-plated watch by Steel by Design (a QVC brand).
- Gold color matches my solid 18K gold pieces perfectly
- Size is substantial, yet comfortable to wear (the Michele watch is noticeably heavy and I often take it off working at the computer)
- Link bracelet style works with casual and dressy looks
- Watch band has a section that can be removed for easy sizing (no jeweler required), though I still had to take out more links to fit my small wrist
- The best thing? Price is $45!
- Craftsmanship is just ok, the case and band feel flimsy and sound hollow
- I’m not sure how the gold plating will wear. I own other gold-plated jewelry pieces from QVC that are still buttery yellow, but a watch sees more wear and tear, so time will tell:) Of course this wouldn’t be an issue with the stainless version (also available).
So far I am loving the watch!