Tags: Becca, Yurbuds
Two new favorite discoveries joined my daily routine this summer. And one trumped a long-time product love.
What I Love About It:
- Applied under makeup, it extends wear by 3x. Normally my face makeup will be an oil slick after a couple of hours. Now, it feels fresh after a few hours and still shows signs of life at 6-8hrs.
- Smoother skin. It helps fill-in pores for a smoother, more flawless appearance.
- No breakouts. It has just 9 ingredients and zero silicones. This formula is near impossible to find in primers, BB, CC creams (trust me, I’ve searched obsessively).
- I picked up a free sample to try at Sephora. I tested it alongside CoverFX and Nars. Hands-down, Becca performed the best at controlling oil.
A Few Learnings:
- Application works best before makeup. You can dab it on top during the day for touch-ups, but feels a bit heavy. It also has a hint of a whitish cast, so isn’t great on its own.
- Consistency is very dry. I apply closely after sunscreen, so my skin has some slip for blending. I apply and blend one section of my face at a time. If your skin is on the normal to dry side, you’ll prefer a more moisturizing primer.
- It’s on the pricey side, though average for department store brands ($34 for 1.7 ounces). Try a sample first.
I have been using Paula’s Choice Shine Stopper for a couple of years. It’s good, but for me Becca Ever-Matte Primer is stellar!
If you walk, jog, hike, bike, snowboard, etc., you NEED Yurbuds Headphones ($59.99)! It is the only pair I’ve ever used that stay put in my ears. The earbuds feel comfortable, music sounds great and it controls your iPod/iPhone for hands-free operation. Plus they are water-resistant. I learned the hard way when I snowboarded with my old headphones, which got wet and then only played half a song in one ear.
Tags: Chanel, Chanel LeVolume Mascara, mascara
“Special Occasion Lashes” from a mascara!? At the recommendation of my hair stylist, I tried Chanel LeVolume Mascara. It’s my new holy grail mascara…even beating out Mally’s (which I’ve used for years). Chanel LeVolume Mascara is pricey ($30), but it won’t disappoint. I was skeptical (after all, the “special” claim came from the counter rep), so started with a deluxe sample from Nordstrom. From the first swipe, I was hooked…lashes were long, voluminous and lasted all day.
On Saturday, May 25 (only this day), Nordstrom is hosting Mascara Madness: Buy 2 Get One Free. Go in with a friend and it brings the cost down to $20 per tube. You can even mix and match colors, or other brands, if you wish. The special price is online and in-stores.
Tags: detox diet, Lyn-Genet Recitas, The Plan
Two meals were served at my family’s Easter dinner 1) Traditional, and 2) The Plan friendly. When my sister and her husband lost 10 pounds in the first 10 days on The Plan, other family and friends followed suit. At Easter, there were 6 Plan participants — 3 men and 3 women — so I took the opportunity to conduct an interview.
I’m giving away 3 copies of The Plan to My Ray of Beauty readers. A big thanks to creator Lyn-Genet Recitas for donating the books! The first 3 people to comment on this post win a free book (+ free shipping, USA only).
Q. What are your key takeaways about The Plan?
- Lisa: It’s working! I’m following the thyroid plan due to pregnancy (over/under active). I immediately began losing weight where other diets had failed.
- Steve: First, I’m glad my wife is a very good cook and reads the menu details! We completed 20 days. The biggest takeaway is I could lose weight without exercise.
- Dan: Food effects are much more noticeable, like a coffee buzz. I like to bike ride and started at Day 8. By Day 14, I felt really good and went on a strenuous ride.
- Rhonda: It is very good and puts together lots of previous knowledge in a very logical way. If I’m hungry it is because I am behind on drinking water. It is challenging at first, but it gets easier. After a couple of days with a busy schedule I can get back on The Plan and the weight comes off. I feel that I am making healthy choices without having to devote lots of time to exercise. The hardest piece is testing new foods, though it is nice to see the weight come off…not so nice to see it go back up.
- Michael: I’ve been very pleased! The portions are large. When I went back to eating a “normal” breakfast, I couldn’t finish it, it didn’t sit well. When I reacted to foods (like eggs), I felt horrible and gained weight.
Q. How much weight have you lost?
- Lisa: 10 pounds in 12 days
- Steve: 19 pounds in 20 days, my goal is 12 more pounds
- Dan: 10 pounds in 14 days, I follow the plan religiously…ok, I had a bit of extra chocolate
- Rhonda: 17.6 pounds after 5 weeks
- Michael: 7-8 pounds in 12 days following the men’s portions
- Cha: 6.5 pounds in 14 days
Q. What is your favorite recipe?
- Lisa: Chopped Salad
- Steve: Any of the sautéed vegetables
- Dan: Salad with grilled chicken and goat cheese
- Rhonda: Spicy Vegetable Soup
- Michael: Carrot Soup
- Cha: Salad with greens, carrots, zucchini, onions, goat cheese
Q. What is your least favorite recipe?
- Lisa: Sautéed Kale
- Steve: Spicy Vegetable Soup
- Dan: Spicy Coco Sauce, I also had to get used to the flax seeds
- Rhonda: Carrot Soup
- Michael: Sautéed Kale and Spicy Vegetable Soup
- Cha: Chia seeds (too slimy!)
Q. How do you feel overall?
- Lisa: I have a lot more energy
- Steve: I don’t feel any different
- Dan: I felt sick the first few days (could be the toxins releasing?), but now my energy is up; having my stomach go down feels good; low-grade body aches have gone away
- Rhonda: I feel good that I am eating healthy; in the morning I don’t have to move slowly the first couple of minutes, I am ready to go immediately
- Michael: I’m generally healthier
- Cha: I’ve struggled with sinus problems and notice more senses, my smelling and hearing is better
The Plan is a New York Times Best Seller. It is available for purchase on Amazon for $16.34 or Kindle/$10.99.